Skip to main content

Best of 2017

2017 has finally ended. Wow. It felt so fast. Faster than how long 2016 did. Senior year sure speed things up massively, especially when you’re under all the pressure of studying for university selections. God. But I’m not here to talk about that. This first post I’m writing will be about all the best things from this fleeting year. May this first post be something I can look back and maybe help me crack a smile or two.

Best Movie
At this point if you ask me what’s my favorite movie regardless of genre I would unhesitatingly answer COCO. Coco really was the best thing to grace our silver screen this year, I was so surprised and disappointment that it doesn’t garner that much attention, online or offline. I was positively TRIGGERED OFFENDED beyond reason when I read an article listing out the “winners” and “losers” of cinema in 2017 that put Coco in the loser list. I couldn’t even leave a nasty comment in its page to express my distaste at the author’s judgement. How ironic that they put diversity as one of the aforementioned “winners” and leave off all animated features that doesn’t star yellow pill parasites that came out this year as losers, on the basis they all don’t come close to the box office records that one film had. Come on.
Honestly, I’m over with feeling let down with the numbers Coco pulled in its US release. I want to rejoice in the victory it pulled by being the #1 film in Mexico, how it singlehandedly outnumber the income of every pixar release in China COMBINED, and how it can unite people all around of the world with its universal theme of family and tradition. Not to mention how AWESOME everything about that movie was. The story, setting, colors, animation, characters, and how detailed they are to make it feel like a lived-in world. More on that later, I have an upcoming post about my whole thoughts of Coco, that may or may not entail bashing Disney’s lackluster efforts of promoting it and how America’s political climate that might have something to do with the domestic earnings Coco had *coughracistscough*. (I’m sorry, I’m a non-American but I STILL have a say in it, okay?)
I feel a bit bad for not including any other movies in this post, and maybe a bit ashamed for stating my above opinion, so maybe I’ll make a follow up post for the best movies of 2017? There’s a lot of films I missed out on, unfortunately, senior year and all. I haven’t watched Ladybird though, it’s not out here yet and I have a feeling I would absolutely love it. I was skeptical at first, but a moment from the trailer where Saoirse Ronan is irritated by her mom but immediately spoke warmly to her after she suggested a dress to her sold me the film.
Honorable mentions, aka films released this year that are good but doesn't necessarily mean I cherish it as much (I guess it's an indicative of my childlike tastes. Welp.) : Get Out, Logan, and Wonder Woman. 

Best Book
I’m sorry. I didn’t read too many books this year, so it’s probably not that valid. But I still want to tell everyone how much I ADORE Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han. It is such a satisfying, tooth-rottingly sweet ending for the beloved Lara Jean series. God knows I need such a good read this late in year or I would’ve really putted my foot down to any more YA books. It’s been such a long time since I enjoyed a book that much, much less a YA one. I felt like I outgrew them after realizing how terrible the Mortal Instrument’s movie adaptation was.
I don’t know was it because I read the first book through the e-book version or because I haven’t read it in so long, I thought this third one was the best in the series. The second one was arguably the weakest, but I won’t delve too much into that since the one that’s still fresh in my memory is AAFLJ (yeah I’m making it an acronym to keep things short).
This book, along with Coco, was so relevant and poignant for my 2017. Let me jump back into talking about Coco for a bit. Coco reminded me of how much you have to fight for your dream and passion, but also told me that I can pursue it while keeping in mind of my family. Again, I’m going to touch more on that subject in another post. As for AAFLJ, like Lara Jean, I too, am facing senior year. Sans the boyfriend, of course. And I really, REALLY want to go to this one university that makes all other university look like an unqualified institution (I’m being hyperbolic here). Hopefully I do get in there. Lara Jean deals with senior year with a fantastic, sweet, boyfriend (who is too good to be true, honestly) and the book does it all with refined taste. I read a review of it in Goodreads saying how much she was dissapointed that Lara Jean didn’t change, she’s too naïve yadayadayada, but out of all the female protagonists in the (few) books I’ve read, Lara Jean is the one who feels the realest to me. It’s not because she’s Asian, because if so, another book with an Asian-American heroine would’ve also be held close to my heart, but it doesn’t *coughibelieveinathingcalledlovecough*
I’m still reeling from the experience of finishing AAFLJ for the first time so I can’t offer up an insightful review of it, but all I can say is, from the first pages this book got me grinning madly like an intoxicated chesire cat. Excuse the metaphor, I don’t even know where that came from.

Best Songs
Here are the songs that were released in 2017 that I really liked.  I’m a bit iffy on this one, because even though Havana really is a jam for me now, I’m pretty sure I’m not as obsessed with it now as I was obsessed with it as I was obsessed with That’s What I Like earlier this year.
1.       Remember Me – from Disney Pixar’s Coco
This is pretty self-explanatory, considering I gushed a lot about Coco earlier. I love all its versions, and since I’m so deprived of any new Coco content that Disney has not been giving, I’ve also resorted to watching videos of Coco in other languages, that includes trailers, music videos, and interviews. I want to say more about each of the versions, but it might include spoilers so.. maybe next time?
2.       Havana – Camila Cabello
What a coincidence that the moment I was first interested in this song ever since someone played it in my class (there was a lengthy time between when that happened and when I was curious enough to search it myself), the next day just happened to be the music video’s release. Love the video, by the way, one of the best of this year.
3.       Peek-A-Boo – Red Velvet
I found the video by chance (hint: youtube algorithm). It was amazing. It’s not my first encounter with Red Velvet songs, my 10th grade classmate likes to make dance cover videos of it and play the songs in class. But this was the first Red Velvet song that I’m actually really fond of. (Why did I use that word? Oh well.) Imagine my surprise when I was in Bali and it was played on the radio.
4.       Love Story – SURAN feat. CRUSH
Thanks to my younger sister for introducing me to the wonderful world of SURAN. I really, really like the video. It’s so cute and wholesome. Also I apologize for using all these words in one paragraph, I think this is my brain’s way of saying it’s in a writer’s block. The music video really captures the essence of this song’s dreamy-like narrative. Suran’s voice is like a smooth honey, gliding down from its glass bottle. Crush’s part in the song feels like a natural addition, usually featured artists in a song feels as if they’re just dropped in there out of nowhere. Listening to it is like falling in love.
5.       That’s What I Like – Bruno Mars
UGH. My first reaction to it was an off-guarded astonishment, that apparently a song played over and over again in my school’s field trip bus could sound so good. But then again, it is Bruno, one of the few 2000s-2010s top 40 artists I actually enjoy listening to. The beat, rhythm and flow make it hard for you to not move along to it. Not to mention the enticing lyrics makes it excruciatingly difficult for me listeners not to imagine being the subject of the song. Bruno’s girlfriend must’ve been really cherished by him. *cue swooning*
6.       DNA – BTS
Look. My life is now surrounded by this group. I go to school, two of my friends start talking about it, back home my sisters blast their songs out with speakers. It happens vice versa as well. From all the songs I am exposed to, curiously, DNA was the one that stood out to me. Maybe because it’s more easy on the ears for average listeners? Perhaps so.
7.       New Rules – Dua Lipa
What a bop. Pop music with synthesized sound creation should be utilized to not just make noise, but actually have a tune and melody. That didn’t apply to only New Rules, the same could be said of DNA, honestly. Not only is Dua Lipa a bop, what a good set of rules to follow through for anyone who had a break up. Which I can’t really relate to but ‘Yay!’ for people who fit those categories!
These are the list of some of my favorite things things this year. Might edit or add some things later. Thank you for reading.

Comments